Jean Baptiste Lang House & Gift Shop
605 Carroll St.
Mandeville, LA 70448
Tel: (504) 723-7714

and

The Jean Baptiste Lang House, located on the Mandeville lakefront at 605 Carroll Street, is one of the few Anglo-Creole structures left standing in Old Mandeville. Completed in 1852 by successful Belgian tobacco merchant, Jean Baptiste Lang, the cottage survived the Civil War before Hurricane Katrina nearly destroyed it in 2005. Preservationists moved the home inland and restored it to display original architectural elements, such as faux bois oak finishes, mortise and tenon construction, tongue and groove floors, scarf joints, diagonal braces and a Creole Diamond mantle. The recent gutting of the interior also exposed myriad antebellum-era paint colors and woodwork.

Today, the Lang House is a city-owned, volunteer-run museum, gift shop and a multi-functional community space. Open to visitors on Thursdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Learn more about the lovely old cottage on the Lang House website, check out current events on their Facebook page, and see the Lang House for yourself as the second stop of the Historic Mandeville Marker Tour. Be sure to stop in the gift shop and check out the collection of brass and wooden ornaments commemorating the town's historic places.

Private tours and event hosting requests, contact: adelefoster@gmail.com.

October 26, 2024

The Old Mandeville Historic Association presents Fall Fest at the Lang House Museum, 605 Carroll Street in Old Mandeville, Saturday, October 26, 2-5 p.m. This family friendly, free... Read More